Hobart Hurricanes on Wednesday signed the Australian batsman Peter Handscomb for the upcoming season of the Big Bash League.
The 29-year-old Handscomb will now be filling the space of the retired George Bailey in the BBL 2019. He also left his team Melbourne Star as he ended his nine-year-long association with them.
This trade might be one of the high-profiles moves ahead of the new season of the Big Bash League. He has signed a two-year-deal with the Hurricanes and he will join the likes of Matthew Wade, D’Arcy Short and Ben McDermott. Hurricanes would also be expecting to Handscomb to bat at number 4 to strengthen the middle order.
“I had a good chat with some of the boys I’d played with before, so I’m keen to get down there and play with those guys,” he said. “I’m looking forward to the opportunity to potentially bat in the top four on a beautiful wicket at a nice ground, it’s exciting to be able to come to Hobart and show what I can do,” Handscomb said.
Handscomb hasn’t been a part of the Australian team since their departure from the 2019 World Cup. And ever since David Warner and Steve Smith returned back, the selectors haven’t considered him in the national team yet.
He also lost his annual contract from the Cricket Australia earlier this year after not featuring in the national team for months.
Hurricanes general manager Scott Barnes spoke after Handscomb’s trade as he said:
“We’re thrilled to have Pete join the Hurricanes. There will be a number of first-time Hurricanes this season and we’re confident that the mix of youth and experience will see us through to the finals for another season.”
“His experience and tenacity at the crease is well known, and for him to be in purple this season provides another level of confidence to our batting line-up and overall team leadership,” he added.