Melbourne Stars have confirmed that they have re-signed Pakistan paceman Dilbar Hussain, for the Big Bash League (BBL) 2020-21 season. The Stars signed him as their third overseas player after Haris Rauf had to pull out of the tournament.
Dilbar Hussain had made his BBL debut last season after the Stars picked him up for the tournament. Hence, Hussain will be available for the entire BBL season. He is currently undergoing a quarantine period of 14 days. After completing it, he will head to Canberra for their first knockout.
In addition to being his debut season, the 9th edition of BBL was also his first professional T20 outing. Hussain had featured in the match between the Stars and Brisbane Heat, finishing with the figures 1-56. He had claimed the wicket of star all-rounder AB de Villiers.
“I’m looking forward to working with Dilbar again this season and supporting his development together with our wider bowling group,” Stars coach David Hussey said. “His Stars debut was a whirlwind last year – it was his first senior T20 match and he effectively came down to Melbourne at very short notice and ended up bowling to AB de Villiers at the MCG.”
The Pakistan quick, however, displayed some impressive bowling during the Pakistan Premier League (PSL) this year. Hussain represented Lahore Qalanders in three matches. He had an incredible tournament with figures 3-33, 2-29, and 2-28 in the matches. His PSL performance and talent as a bowler is the reason why Hussey picked him up for a second time.
“He’s a genuine 140km/hr. bowler with a good Yorker and an incredible slower ball. With another year of experience and his time in the PSL, we’re keen to see what Dilbar brings to the table for us this year. The fact that not many players have faced him before can be a real advantage for us.”
On his comeback, Hussain said, “I’m very happy to be coming back to the Melbourne Stars for the Big Bash.”
“In a short time, I was with the club last season I learned so much. I’d like to thank David Hussey who was incredibly supportive and encouraged me to keep working on my craft,” he added.
With the latest signing, the Melbourne Stars’ squad looks like this: Jonny Bairstow (Eng), Hilton Cartwright, Jackson Coleman, Nathan Coulter-Nile, Ben Dunk, Seb Gotch, Lewis Hatcher, Clint Hinchliffe, Dilbar Hussain (Pak), Zahir Khan (Afg), Nick Larkin, Nic Maddinson, Glenn Maxwell, Jono Merlo, Lance Morris, Tom O’Connell, Nicholas Pooran (WI), Will Pucovski, Billy Stanlake, Marcus Stoinis, Adam Zampa.
BBL 2020-21 gets underway on December 10, the first match of which will be staged at Blundstone Arena, Hobart.